From:
Bob Darrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 2014 18:07:26 -0400
On 17-Sep-14, at 12:25 PM, Richard Cryberg wrote:

>  In general no purchaser really knows where the queens in those
> packages came from.

Hi Richard and All

Prior to the border closure in the '80s, we in Ontario got packages
from the southern US.  The importer, a local bee equipment supplier
travelled to his chosen package provider and returned with his truck
loaded with several thousand packages.  He didn't always get the bees
from the same outfit and some years got packages from more than one
outfit down south.  Some years we would get great bees, other years
duds and several times mean nasty bees.  We never knew where they
came from and had no choice because we had to order in November for
delivery in April/May.

After T mites in the US resulted in the border closure, several
larger beekeepers started producing and selling queens/hives/nucs
from their local Ontario stock.  While I have found a beekeeper near
me who produces consistently gentle productive  bees, I'm sure that
duds and mean bees can also be purchased in Ontario, but not by me.
Have my chosen bees adapted to my location or have I adapted to the
bees I have?

Bob Darrell
Caledon Ontario
Canada