From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 22:30:53 -0000
Mike:

>"Hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF), a well-known heterocyclic Maillard reaction
>product, has often been studied for its potential toxic, mutagenic, and
>carcinogenic effects. Recent clinical studies, however, have strongly
>suggested that HMF might have exciting antitumor potential..."

That started me searching for heterocyclic Maillard reaction!

Found this:
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-1b.shtml
which states that:
"The Maillard reaction is not a single, but in fact a series, of reactions
between proteins and carbohydrates. The reactions occur during storage at
room temperature, as well as during cooking, with the rate of reaction
accelerating as temperature increases. It should be pointed out that
virtually all foods contain both proteins and carbohydrates."

Does it then follow that HMF in honey is produced by a reaction between the
pollen and fructose/glucose?  If so, would removing pollen (not legal to
filter out pollen in the EU) slow, or even eliminate the production of HMF?
Do honeys with naturally low pollen content produce HMF at a slower rate?

Best wishes
Peter Edwards
beekeepers at stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk
www.stratford-upon-avon.freeserve.co.uk/