From:
Scott Koppa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2018 11:41:49 -0400
An update on the FDA's view for honey labeling and added sugars crossed my desk this morning. it can be found here:

https://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm619596.htm?utm_campaign=09062018_Statement_FDA%20plans%20updated%20approach%20to%20labeling%20added%20sugar%20on%20maple%20syrup&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua

I clipped the following to cut to the chase:

> While added sugars declared on the updated Nutrition Facts label include sweeteners added to processed foods, they also include foods that are “packaged as such” including a bag of table sugar, jar of honey or container of maple syrup. We recognized that this new labeling information on “packaged as such” products may inadvertently lead consumers to think their pure products, such as a jar of honey or maple syrup, may actually contain added table sugar or corn syrup because there are “added sugars” listed on the label….

> We’re currently drafting our final guidance…[which] will provide a path forward for pure, single-ingredient “packaged as such” products that does not involve the standard “added sugars” declaration on the Nutrition Facts label. We are not considering changes to the required percent daily value for these products, including for products like pure honey and maple syrup. We believe that such a solution strikes the balance of addressing producer concerns that their products could be perceived as being economically adulterated while still informing consumers on how these products contribute to their daily added sugar intake

Just FYI.

Skillman, NJ