From:
Bill Greenrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jun 2012 09:18:59 -0400
Don't post much, anymore - too much travel and barely enough free time to maintain the property and take care of the bees.  Catch up on Bee-L, when I can.  But, thought I would add what I remember from my 'bee math' from years ago, when I first wanted to answer the question "How many bees are in a hive?"  These days, I care more about overall colony health, rather than size, but it was a simple spreadsheet exercise that I just reproduced to generate the numbers below.  Please shoot holes as necessary.  Note: I did search the archives before posting, but could not find this info specifically.  Probably there, just did not use the right search terms.

Rate limiters on bee population:

1) Life span of a bee - once  a queen is laying throughout one bee lifecycle, it becomes a steady-state process - bees are born, bees die - unless her egg-laying rate changes or the bee life-span changes.
2) Egg-laying rate of the queen - the more she can bang out during one bee lifecycle, the more total bees there will be - so to speak.
3) Available egg-laying space - queen may be an egg-laying machine, but without sufficient space - fewer eggs.  One of the reasons I run three deeps is to allow for maximum egg-laying by trying to minimize over-filling of the brood chamber with food stores.  Might also lower the urge to swarm, if they don't become overcrowded (I know other factors are at play, but thought I would mention in the interest of full disclosure).

Assumptions:

#1) The most common average lifespan number I have seen for bees during the active season is 42 days - 6 weeks.  Some quote less, some more, but it is not 2 weeks and it is not 30 weeks.

#2) The numbers I have seen for egg-laying rate of a queen are all over the map, ranging from 1,000 per day to 3,000+ per day.  Al little math shows the following:

Rate per day    Rate per hour   Rate per minute

1000                       41.7	                 0.7
1500                       62.5                   1.0
2000                       83.3                   1.4
2500                     104.2                   1.7
3000                     125.0                   2.1

I leave it to others to determine the sustainability of numbers much over 1.5 / minute, given the need to find available cells, especially across frames, the time for maintenance by her entourage, ability to lay continuously 24 hours a day, etc.  For the math below, the assumption is that egg-laying rate remains constant.  Does not assume slow-downs due to lack of incoming food, season, etc.  Focus is on max. production under optimal conditions.

#3) The assumption is that there is no limitation on egg-laying space from encroaching stores, etc. and that it is all readily accessible by the queen.  Best case scenario.

#4) There are no 'unusual' events - no pesticide kills, no double-queen laying, no supercedure, no swarms, no skunk attacks......

The numbers using 1,000 to 3,000 eggs per day Rates and Avg. (42D), Max. (49D) and Min. (35D) Lifespans:

Rate        Lifespan	  Total
1,000         42	           42,000
1,500         42	           63,000
2,000         42	           84,000
2,500         42           105,000
3,000         42           126,000

1,000         49	           49,000
1,500         49	           73,500
2,000         49	           98,000
2,500         49           122,500
3,000         49           147,000

1,000         35             35,000
1,500         35	           52,500
2,000         35	           70,000
2,500         35	           87,500
3,000         35	         105,000

Again, years ago, I read that the typical maximum colony size, base on the above factors, was around 60,000 bees.  If you assume 1,500 per day, with a lifespan of 42 days, that's just about on that number, and is what I have used for my own bench-marking.  Over the years, I have had queens, which I believe were laying over 2,000 per day, just based on the total frames of eggs I found during a full hive breakdown for splits, but I don't consider that typical.  I know others have reported colonies over 100,000 bees, and I don't doubt it; the math above shows it is certainly possible, even without extraordinary conditions.  I just have not seen it myself.  After a week of rain, I have seen LOTS of bees flying from a hive, since there's almost a week's worth of 'extra' foragers alive in the hive.  But, the numbers soon adjust.

So, that's my math.  YMMV.  Have fun shooting it down.

Bill