From:
Maurice Cobo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 13:38:26 -0600
The Imirie Shim was thought of by George Imirie and it's pretty handy
because you can remove and install them as you want, where you want it and
when you want it.
It does wonders for ventilation and it helps to get the bees where they need
to be in the hive real fast.

The hole in the super you can't move or remove, you can plug it but it looks
bad and you have caused damage to your super.

I made many of the shims myself, they are super easy to make. I am sure by
now you have already seen the picture of it in the Midnight Bee web site.

When I just started to use the Imirie Shim, I put one between every box and
before I knew the hive was 7 boxes high (the deep supers) and they were
elbow to elbow bees in every box. The hive was super strong and it was nice
and cool inside, so the bees fanning efforts were more effective in curing
the honey down to 16% moisture way faster.  This caused the nurse bees to
have nothing to do in the hive so they became field bees way faster and they
were filling the supers full of honey like you would not believe. I
alternated where the hole was, the one between box one and two had the hole
in the front, the one between box 2 and 3 had the hole in the back.. so on.
The entrances of the shims are only about 1 1/2 inch or 2 in size, so the
bees do not have to have too many guards bees to protect these entrances.
Front and back entrances were bussy.
I ended up with a bigger field force faster.
Also the moisture of the hives went way down, making chack brood almost
non-existent in my 30 hives. Before using the shim I found a lot of chack
brood in the spring. I even use one all winter under the top covers or
inner-covers, it minimizes the condensation fall out and chack brood is very
rare.

Anyway, I share my experience with you.

Maurice
(Northern Utah Beekeeper).