From:
ROBERT RAUCH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 May 2007 10:22:11 -0700
I think your lack of swarm calls will be due to a lack of any honey crop for this year.  At least in my area (west central Missouri), the April frost has eliminated any honey flow up to this point.  We experienced 3 days of below 20 degree temps during the main early bloom period.  With supplemental feeding, I have maintained my hives at normal population levels for this time of year however it is touch and go to avoid starvation so far.  There are no stores at all in most hives.  No stores- plenty of space- no swarms.  I would be very curious as to how large an areas is affected by the frost impact. Bob Rauch- Higginsville, Mo.