Date:
Wed, 24 Jul 2013 21:16:40 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (32 lines)
BEE-L sinks to a new low.

On 24/07/2013 8:31 PM, B Farmer wrote:
>> I find this statement to be breathtakingly false. Observation does not take place in the eyes, hence the notion that a blind person cannot observe is absurd.
> I disagree.  I find your post to be breathtakingly false and completely absurd.  This is supposed to be the INFORMED discussion list - not the MISinformed discussion list for promoting the propaganda of ignorance and lack of education.
>
> One needs only to look at the etymology of "observe" to understand that observing is visual in nature.  (Disregarding usage of observe in regards to celebrating holidays or conformance to laws, as these usages are not in context to our usage.)
>
> Huber may have been able to perceive what he was told, but he was not able to observe it.  (Did someone forget to remind him to believe nothing he hears, and only half of what he sees?)
>
>> Most scientific observations these days require intermediary equipment, very little is observed directly.
> *smacks forehead*
>
> Look at what you just wrote Pete.  Observations are not observed.
> By default, if it's not observed, then it isn't an observation.
>
> You're trying to play semantics and trying to say that words don't mean what they actually mean.  It's an insult to everyone's intelligence.  Then you use the word in accordance to the common understanding, and hope that no one will notice.
>
> It reminds me of a boy in school named Andy, who was admonished for running.  Andy responded that he wasn't running.  He was just running up the stairs.  Thereafter, we called such wordplay to be Andy-isms.  Suggesting that observations are not observed would be a classic Andy-ism.
>
> I think Shakespeare worded it pretty good.  BS by any other name would stink just as bad.  Or it was worded something like that.  So let's allow the roses to be roses and allow the BS to stay where it belongs.  The place will smell a lot better that way. :)
>
>               ***********************************************
> The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
> LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
> http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2