From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2017 12:38:00 -0400
> To move forward with the TF concept we need to actually let the bees alone,  and see which ones can handle/manage mites.

You seem to be assuming that evolution will provide you with what you want. Doesn't work that way. While the bees are slowly evolving, varroa is evolving faster and even faster are the viruses. The survival of a species is never assured. Th very reason that we breed plants and animals is that the wild types are not suitable for what we need or want. The healthiest honey bees are the ones that abscond at the drop of the hat, or sting the shit out of anything that comes within their territory. Protecting them, on the other hand, leads to other problems.

For example:

The ecto-parasitic mite Varroa destructor has transformed the previously inconsequential Deformed Wing Virus (DWV) into the most important honey bee viral pathogen responsible for the death of millions of colonies worldwide. Naturally, DWV persists as a low level covert infection transmitted between nest-mates. It has long been speculated that Varroa via immunosuppression of the bees, activate a covert infection into an overt one.

Here we show that despite Varroa feeding on a population of 20-40 colonies for over 30 years on the remote island of Fernando de Noronha, Brazil no such activation has occurred and DWV loads have remained at borderline levels of detection. This supports the alternative theory that for a new vector borne viral transmission cycle to start, an outbreak of an overt infection must first occur within the host.

Therefore, we predict that this honey bee population is a ticking time-bomb, protected by its isolated position and small population size. This unique association between mite and bee persists due to the evolution of low Varroa reproduction rates. So the population is not adapted to tolerate Varroa and DWV, rather the viral quasi-species has simply not yet evolved the necessary mutations to produce a virulent variant.

Bretell, L. E., & Martin, S. J. (2017). Oldest Varroa tolerant honey bee population provides insight into the origins of the global decline of honey bees. Scientific Reports.