From:
Judy Spradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Mar 1997 09:31:13 -0600
I am a REAL novice - beginning my second year with 2 hives, one from a 3lb
pkg purchased last spring, and one from a captured feral hive.  The pkg
bees were fitted with brand new comb, the ferals started with some of their
existing comb from their tree.  The pkg bees seem to be a little stronger.
Actually, considering my area (NW PA) and the staggering numbers of dead
bees among seasoned beekeepers here, I'm just grateful they're still alive!

Which brings me to the question, has anyone considered the impact of old
brood comb on proliferation of tracheal mites?  In other words, would
replacing all comb each year cut down on disease and mites, although also
cutting down production?(bees having to spend time drawing out new comb)
In my area at least, this might be a feasible alternative to losing hives.
Our climate is not hot enough to effectively use menthol. (I did treat both
hives last year with spearmint laced grease patties.)

Judy, A Displaced Texan in PA
IRON ACRES: Where the water is red & the grass is green!
And the soap is handmade from goat milk.