From:
Bill Truesdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:48:41 -0400
D McKinney wrote:
> New Brunswick beekeepers have experienced large losses and TM could be
> a contributing factor.
> Can TM be  easily detected in the dead bees  found in the hive with
> the proper lab equipment?
If you can sample before they all leave, you will see it, but after the
colony dies, the only bees left will be mostly TM free. I asked the same
question and that was the response.

If there are still live bees, then you will probably see it. The level
of "infection" will be low, but that is because all the other infected
bees left.

The absolute top expert on TM is right there in Canada, Medhat Nasr, who
is also one of the most approachable scientists I know. I suggest you
contact him.

You will need a scope to see the mites and there is a procedure to make
that easier so you can get a good assessment. I did it at the EAS short
course.

TM inspection requires more effort than Varroa so most do not even
bother to check for it any more. Hence, we get the "after", which looks
like CCD, and never know if TM were present for the "before". BTW, I
have been told that as little as 10-15% TM detected prior to winter is
more than enough to kill the colony. Remember, it is not the TM that
does it but the ever present virus in the colony. TM can kill all by
itself, but not the entire colony. Often, you will just get  dysentery
covered frames and a handful of lethargic, pitiful bees that made it
through the winter. They do recover but you are only propagating TM
susceptible bees which will keep the susceptibility alive. BTDT as a new
beekeeper.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine