From:
Richard Cryberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Dec 2015 01:28:08 +0000
" I know for certain most of these ag chemical are applied when diluted in water and certainly some may require a surfactant*.  Of course IF there are other liquid materials you can dilute these product in then others here I would hope would enhance my understanding on such matters."

I worked in the pesticide industry for a number of years.  One of the functions I managed was formulations.  I just spent a half an hour writing up a responsive answer to the above question.  I read what I wrote and said why am I wasting my time?  I deleted it.  This is a bee forum, not a place to try and teach about Ag formulation practices and all the tricks of the trade.
1.  Pesticide manufacturers are not stupid and do not want to kill your bees.
2.  The EPA is not stupid and does not want to kill your bees.
3.  Insecticides kill bees.  It is the bee keepers responsibility to move his bees if needed to avoid getting them sprayed.
4.  When bee keepers own the land they have their bees on and forage over they can control what will be sprayed.
5.  When bee keepers do not own the land their bees are on and forage over it is their responsibility to move them if the land owner happens to decide to spray.  If it is on short notice tough.
6.   Roundup does not kill bees no matter how many bee keepers swear it killed their bees.
7.  99% of the time bee keepers spend bitching about neonics is a total waste of time as the alternatives are all far worse and there is no meaningful data to show significant harm other than misapplications or planter dust.   The value of neonics to US farmers vastly exceeds the total value of every honey bee in the US.

Could we all just talk about bees and stop trying to run someone else's business that in general we know nothing at all about?

Dick

" Any discovery made by the human mind can be explained in its essentials to the curious learner."  Professor Benjamin Schumacher talking about teaching quantum mechanics to non scientists.   "For every complex problem there is a solution which is simple, neat and wrong."  H. L. Mencken