From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 05:10:45 -0500
Hello All,
Also Tim on our list makes and sells a Plexiglas  top fume board with an
battery powered motor. I field tested one he sent me. They work great, use
less chemical and you can look through the Plexiglas top to see when the
bees leave the super.

I also paint the top of all my fume boards black. Simple to do and is well
worth the time & paint.

I have also cut a four inch hole in the center of the fume board before and
added a 90 degree bend of stove pipe. The pipe is not attached to the fume
board. Really helps speed the process. Turn the pipe in the direction the
wind is blowing. These I use only when getting the bees to leave the super
is problematic. Such as low temperature.

Using a bee blower as suggested after using a fume board I have never tried.

If I am in a hurry (rain coming or getting dark) I can bring a certain
amount of bees in with the supers. I have got a screen door to the outside
of the honey processing area on which the bees will leave the boxes and go
to. I then have got one of those bee vacuums which does not harm the bees. I
vacuum the bees and remove to one of the hives I keep around for those bees.
Or one of the hives I keep around for any brood which we might have brought
in.

I have bigger problems with bees trying to get into the honey processing
area after the supers are in than with bringing in with supers. We can
always tell when the honey flow stops or slows down by the number of bees
trying to get into the processing area.

I have before piped air from the hot room 60 feet and let the air exit on
the opposite side of the building. Works great most of the time as the bees
try to enter the screened opening and are not hanging around the overhead
door to the honey processing area.

There are several methods of killing the bees in the processing area but do
not use those. I have used the electric grid but find they stink and I hate
the sound of a bee getting electrocuted!

Bob

--
believed to be clean.