From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 13:41:17 -0500
Hi Barry and Everyone,

Barry wrote in part:

"But I deviate - the fundamental question remains; viz., if beekeepers in
the continental US could accept the idea - and perhaps the fact of - a
gentle version of AM scutellata  - would such a version of the alleged
"killer bee" be acceptable? If indeed so, what kind of a pedigree would
esteemed beekeepers such as yourself require?"

Well Barry, there is one little issue here.  I do understand what you are saying and would agree that keeping such bees would not be a problem in most areas.  Having said that the problem is that if you can't identify something with a high degree of confidence you can't regulate it.  It is very difficult to regulate based on a behavioral test of any sort.  That is why we here in MN  chose to regulate AHB which can be identified rather than trying to regulate the behavior of bees.  Just a practical consideration not that we are totally against AHB but we really felt a need to assure the public that we were not and will not be a source of these insects that many consider dangerous.  Again I also repeat my view that they would not survive our winters - even what we consider mild winters.

FWIW

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture