From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2008 14:15:18 -0500
Hello David & All,

> Bob, your right about putting all the systemic pesticides on  and into the
> trees. By the way the temik is injected into the soil, under the canopy of
> the tree and it uptakes it ,so heavy rain can in theory, leach it to
> somewhere it should not be.

For those which are not following David and I.

 I will explain further.

Temik comes in bags and is broadcast under orange trees by a spreader. it is
then taken up by the tree and is found in all parts of the tree. (including
the nectar & pollen).

The Temik label was changed from the bag and label I looked at in Florida
doing research for my article. The first label was a wide open anytime
label.

The new label restricts the distance temik can be used from water wells .(
300 ft. if I remember correctly) I also thought the new label restricted use
to certain times of the year and I thought not at harvest time. Oranges are
an interesting fruit. Oranges can be harvested even while blooms for the
next crop are on the tree. I always pick a bunch of oranges to bring back in
January and according to what David posted aldicarb can be legally applied
then. Wow! How quick we forget the aldicarb in orange juice/oranges
problems

I was raised in Florida , have owned property in Florida, travel to Florida
yearly for both business and pleasure and have many friends and people I
went to school with in Florida.

I love Florida!

The water table in most places is around 14 feet which is why you do not see
houses with basements! On our "ranch" we owned in the panhandle we drilled
our own water well with one of those drills advertized in Mother Earth News
(magazine). Had our water tested and was fine to drink.  Hundreds of
thousands of those ground water wells in Florida.  The reason chlordane was
banned but yet aldicarb is allowed. Maybe the public is not aware?

Now the number one Florida State concern  with temik has been aldicarb
getting into ground water supplies. Killing bees (of which to me and Florida
beekeepers is common knowledge) is kind of swept under the rug by growers
and in my opinion would never be enough to ban aldicarb. However as I said
in my Neonicotinoid article could spell the end of Florida being the largest
producer of Orange Blossom Honey in the world.

Google temik/aldicarb and in my opinion you will quickly see why the U.K.
banned temik.

The first label allowed year around use on citrus. Can you imagine the
buildup of aldicarb from running trucks through the groves blasting aldicarb
on the ground every couple months. The product was not carefully placed in a
ring around the tree from what my sources have said and overlapping in areas
was common. So aldicarb turned up in nectar,pollen, oranges and orange juice
( source orange growers). Then the label changed.

However as David pointed out the growers can still pick up the phone and buy
temik by the truck load and as David points out ( confirmed by my sources)
old habits are hard to break and some are still using temik whenever they
please.

yes my friends beeks can simply not bring bees into orange.

 Florida home owners can buy bottled water.

or as I have suggested temik can be banned, all temik recalled and growers
can go back to what they used before temik (which did not contaminate ground
water and kill bees). Was not found in oranges and orange juice.

bob