From:
Calvin King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 13:14:33 -0400
Subject: No-treatment beekeeping ...

"BTW, we're not hearing much bragging from the no treatment guys lately.  How's
that working out?"

Reply:  I agree with Jeffery.  It seems to be working for me.

Randy Oliver wrote:   "But overall, I get the impression that treatment-free beginners generally suffer a very large percentage of varroa/DWV losses in the second or third year of a colony.

Reply:  I guess I will find out next year.  This is my second year of beekeeping.  I have three hives in south Georgia and my brother-in-law has two.  I chose to go foundation-less, my B-I-L close to use standard foundations.  I started from packages and he started with purchased hives.
So far we have encountered no losses and we believe no swarms.  We made one split.  We do have SHB but not too bad for South Georgia.  No obvious signs of serious mite infestation.  In our area we had two BKeepers (that I know of), who have had beekeeping longer and who treat, loose all their bees and one so far this year.  Another told me yesterday that his hives were in great distress having lost four within the last month.  These all treat their bees for everything they can.  The Bkeeper yesterday said he had tried all he knew to try and feared the he would loose all before the year is out.

If treating does not work long term then why be so critical of those of us who choose to not treat?

Calvin King
S.Ga.