From:
Vince Coppola <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:30:03 -0700
Aaron Morris wrote:

> The discussion of width of hive opening has touched on ventillation,
> which has also been discussed a bit on this list.  Vince Coppola
> posted he's unable to notice a difference between solid and screened
> bottom boards.

        I should have been more specific, no differance with regard to honey
production/ripening. I think thats what the original question was about.

> This ventillation issue is funny to me.  Most books warn against drafts
> (mainly a winter concern), yet it seems that more and more things are
> leaning towards increased and improved ventillation.  Seems there is
> a dichotomy here.  Perhaps the "best" hives are the old drafty ones!?

        I don't think drafts are good. We put a plastic board under the screens
in August and leave it there till they are to be moved to pollination,
which is the reason for the screens in the first place. Besides winter
drafts, light comes in and discourages the use of the lowest cells,
especially for brood. The same thing happens when you have large
entrances on standard bottoms and is another reason to leave your
reducers in or at least replace them well before fall.
        Ventilation is good but like many other things that are good, more is
not always better. I think research on what ventilation really does and
how much is really necessary could have a big impact on keeping bees in
the north. We have had drafty old hives that wintered well, but we also
have tight insulated hives, with upper ventilation, that winter as well.
I have'nt made measurements but my informal observation is that the
insulated, controlled ventilation hives winter more consistantly and
consume less honey. The main reason for ventilation is moisture
elimination. The amount of moisture is related to the amount of honey
consumed and that is related to how much energy is needed to maintain
cluster temperature. When we know the proper balance we will probably be
wintering is single story hives. Right Barry?