From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:39:59 -0500
Hello All,
In the flood of 93 in our area many hives were lost to flood waters. About
200 in one location disappeared in the Missouri river.

Hives which stood and never completely  went underwater  like you described
were ok but the lower brood box was  mud.

Bottom locations are best in all years but flood years and then bluff river
locations are best for obvious reasons!

You need to give the bees a upper entrance by propping up the lid etc as
soon as possible.

 The only thing we could save from the lower flooded brood box was the box
itself . Wash with a high pressure washer  and let dry for a week in the
sun. Wash as soon as possible after removing from the water and as throughly
as possible as flood water can carry many chemicals. We let the frames dry
and then burned frames wax and all. Others on the list may have a different
method.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison