From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Dec 2018 12:53:33 -0500
> I see no reason to think that honey bees don't do the same.

I don't believe anyone is saying that bees can't adapt to local conditions given time. What we contrarians are saying is that we in North America don't allow it to happen on any sustainable level. The shipment of queens and migration of bees homogenize our stocks faster than adaption can naturally occur. A few months ago we were discussing whether we even had different "races" anymore. It seems to me that selection for desirable traits is more important and distinctly different than adaptation. Whenever a preferred trait is incorporated into a stock we spread it around quickly. Example hygienic behavior, VSH. T-mite resistance on down to gentleness and honey production. Nun of these are to me indication of adaptation but surely advantageous. If we breed a trait into a given stock is it still "locally adapted"?  If the answer is yes than I'll have to change my opinion. As soon as reliable varroa resistance  is found I for one hope it is bred into all domestic stock as quickly as possible no matter the geographic location of the originating queens.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA