Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 19:48:31 EST
Aaron's post shows that he considers himself cautious and conservative in
treating his bees with medication etc, yet during the year he administers 3
gallons of sugar syrup, 2 doses of fumidil, 2 doses of Apistan and 2
treatments of terramycin.  This suggests to me that either Aaron (this is not
a personal attack on you Aaron but a matter that has arisen in my mind from
reading many US posts from different contributors: your post is just the
catalyst that has initiated this response) is suffering from hypochondria by
proxy or else he has some very sick bees.

A possible alternative diagnosis is that he is treating his bees for diseases
that he does not know that they are suffering from and hang the expense.
This does not seem likely as most beekeepers tend to be parsimonious.

He does not mention the most effective treatment for Nosema (if he knows that
is present and a problem): comb fumigation or renewal.  If Apistan is as
effective as advertised (98 per cent) it should not be necessary to treat
twice a year.  To do so can only accelerate the onset of resistance.

I cannot comment on the double treatment of terramycin for AFB as I have seen
it only twice (in other people's hives) in 20+ years of beekeeping but in the
UK the only treatment is burning and burial followed by compensation from the
Bee Disease Insurance Co which is paid for by your subscription to the
Association.

I am not aware of the price differential in the US between sugar and honey
but have seen plenty of complaints about the tiny amount beekeepers get paid
for their honey.  I also see posts from the US about the higher prices paid
for top quality, well presented honey. One cannot in good conscience sell
honey that may contain recycled sugar.  This means that the beekeeper must
either dye any sugar fed so that it is unsaleable if it appears in the honey,
or remove any such stores in the spring to feed to nucs etc or cease feeding
sugar as far as reasonably practicable. By feeding sugar routinely as opposed
to only when absolutely necessary there is a selection in favour of bees that
NEED  feeding as opposed to those that can winter economically on their own
stores.  The other side of the coin is that the beekeeper must not be greedy
when taking the crop of honey.

I am sorry if my opinions may appear a little over-vigorous in this post; I
look forward to equally vigorous responses.

Chris Slade