From:
Steve Bonine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:24:23 -0600
James Fischer wrote:  Clearly, they like paper.

Sorry, but I am going to hold you to the same standard to which you
hold others.  I asked if you had "any indication" that paper letters
are more effective than electronic communication.  I, too, could have
speculated that the non-tech-savvy politicians would be more
impressed by a traditional postal letter.  But it would have been
speculation, just like you provided.

Do you really think that the actual politician sees the actual piece
of paper that you stuff into an envelope?  Their staff processes the
feedback from their constituency and provides a summary to the
politician.  So the fact that politicians are "not as hip and kewl as
you" is not the issue.  The question is whether their staff gives
more weight to actual paper letters, versus feedback provided via the
web.

I don't know the answer to that (which is what prompted my original
post to the list), but my speculation is that a comment delivered
electronically is just as effective as one delivered in a paper
envelope.  It's not even speculation to state that a comment
delivered electronically is more effective than the good intention of
composing a letter, putting it in an envelope, and sending it.

What I'm saying is that rather than asking people to get out the
envelope and stamp, it makes more sense to give them the web site
and  ask them to contact the congresscritters that way.  I believe
that ten electronic comments are more effective than one paper
letter, and that it's ten times as likely that people will use the
web than lick a stamp.  Argue with "ten" if you wish; I still think
that the potential for getting comments in the hands of our
representatives is higher using "hip and kewl" methods.

It's easy to find your senators and representative, but harder to
know who are the other appropriate targets for comment.  I assume
that the funding decisions for USDA-related projects are essentially
made by committee(s), but I don't know which one(s).  Perhaps someone
with more knowledge than I of the workings in DC could suggest
specific individuals to target.