From:
Grant Gillard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 07:58:29 -0700
I had a swarm call like this situation this past summer.  Honey bees built a nest on the bottom side of a "man-hole" cover that was at ground level, then hung their comb about 12 inches on the bottom side of the cover.  The rest of the sewer pipe descended six or eight feet to a large drain sewer.

  The maintenance men put their special tool in the hole and pulled the cover back, scraping a lot of the extended comb from the cover.

  That's when they called me.

  The hole in the man-hole cover was about as big as a silver dollar and at ground level.  I vaccuumed the bees into a bucket, scraped the comb to be salvaged, then knocked the bees into a nuc box.  As far as I know, these were not africanized bees nor displayed any unusual aggression.  It was in late June and looked like a recent swarm.

  Grant
  Jackson, MO