From:
Peter Armitage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Apr 2017 19:41:34 -0400
Our BEEK association gets a lot of inquiries from folks interested in beekeeping. It's usually not clear how much homework they've done re. beekeeping. We have published the following caution on our website.  Given your experience with start-ups, is this alarmist, inaccurate, unreasonable?  Would appreciate your feedback.  We don't have Varroa, but as of 15 April, I still have a foot of snow in my apiary, and the dandelions won't blossom in force until the 4th week of May.

"The Newfoundland and Labrador Beekeeping Association exists to support beekeeping and beekeepers in our province. We don’t like to discourage people with great interest and passion for the craft, but it is important that you know that beekeeping is much more complex than many people realize.  You are not doing honey bees a favour by jumping into the craft without a proper understanding of its complexities, time commitments, and financial requirements.

So, before you order a nucleus colony (a “nuc”), PLEASE think long and hard about what’s involved in the beekeeping craft and the commitment you are about to make!!! Do tons of reading, talk with established beekeepers, and hang out with them if you can.  Membership in the NLBKA can give you access to other beekeepers, beekeeping resources, and benefit you in other ways (as well as other beekeepers), so please consider joining the association."

Various relevant quotes follow:

- Lance Cuthill, East Kootenays representative, B.C. Honey Producers’ Association,  Beescene, 2017, 33(1):54.
- Jamie Ellis, 2016, “Other Stressors of Honey Bee Colonies,” American Bee Journal, 156(8): 893.
- Malcolm T. Sanford and Richard E. Bonney, 2010, Storey’s Guide to Keeping Honey Bees, North Adams, Mass.: Story Publishing, pp.5-6.
- Lawrence John Connor, 2016, “Using Mentoring to Reduce Losses of New Beekeepers,” American Bee Journal, 156(2): 209-210.

Full statement is here - http://www.nlbeekeeping.ca/beekeepers-corner/beekeeping-for-you/