From:
Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:58:34 -0400
Dee writes:
What we are doing that can be read by anyone can be found at:
Bee Source Point of View, Lusby, Apiacta Article
http://www.beesource.com/pov/lusby/apiacta1992.htm

Excerpts from her article and my comments:

"It is a known fact that both honeybees and mites have been on this
Earth and have co-existed for many millions of years."

According to Mark Winston, *it is believed that* the Asian and
Afro-European groups were separated between 2 and 3 million years ago
by glaciers. Sometime after that, the Asian species were parasitized
by varroa, and the more western species were not. It was not until
these two groups were reunited by migratory beekeepers that varroa
began to infest Apis mellifera.

"it must be assumed that something done artificially to honeybee
colonies during their domestication and management by man has created
the problem of parasitic mites"

Prior to the adoption of the modern beehive, bees were routinely
*robbed* of their honey and frequently killed for it. If anything, in
the past 100 years, beekeepers have been more conscious of honey bee
health than ever before. Apart from migratory beekeepers who are
constantly moving their bees and exposing them to spray, beekeepers
are better stewards than their ancestors.

"stress resulting from generally accepted beekeeping practices ... is
the real killer of domesticated honeybee colonies."

In my management of colonies, I have always strived to create the
best conditions for their success. This May I had several yards where
most of the hives filled three or four deep supers with new honey.
These hives are not under stress. Yet we know full well that it is
often the big colonies that are most heavily infested with mites by
the end of the summer. So heavy mite infestation appears to correlate
with colony success, rather than stress.

"the therapeutic administration of natural key nutrients and natural
sized brood comb foundation, sized to ones own beekeeping region"

No mention is made of what these natural ingredients are. I never
feed colonies during the active season because this area has a
super-abundance of pollen and nectar sources. Some feeding may be
done in fall to ensure adequate weight for the 5 or 6 month winter.
As for sizing combs to one's own region, my measurements of natural
comb indicate that the larger size is correct for our area.

"it becomes possible to breed for bees with shorter development times
as in aid in overcoming Varroa"

A careful reading of this article will show that the theory is based
primarily on the idea that honey bee cells were upsized in the 20th
century, and must be "corrected."  (This theory is full of holes and
is contradicted by empirical evidence in Africa). A cursory reference
to nutrition is made and some last minute comments on breeding bees
with shorter development times (this hasn't panned out).

Dee Lusby wrote this article ten years ago, and it is basically
theoretical in nature. Her proof is limited to the fact that her bees
are still alive. So far as I know, everyone on this list still has
bees alive, so that proves nothing itself. How do her yields compare
with others producers in her area? No evidence is ever provided that
indicates that she has gotten anything other than survival of the
fittest, which is worthy, but cannot be construed as proof of the technique.

--

Peter Borst <[log in to unmask]>