Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2017 22:40:43 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
a Peter Borst snip followed by > my comments...
I thought we were going to forgo snark. Anyway, he said 30% of DNA, not virus. This is not news, really:

>I apologize to all if my prior remarks if they seemed snarky. It is hot here and the days are long and tomorrow starts early in moving a few bees.

>thanks for the reference Peter B. and Randy O and the links Richard. Interesting stuff and certainly well beyond my pay grade as simple beekeeper to fully understand.  Even when I took genetics (long long ago_ we knew all species share some dna at some level. 

>Given my limited understanding I would suggest a close read of the reference and the links suggest the two distant species of vertebrate, bovine and snake (they also seem to share these with two species of lizard) share some dna component but making a claim that this was transmitted to bovine via a snake (did someone forget here the two lizard species?) a bit speculative (but is excellent word smiting when it comes to constructing a better headline).

>For those in the know.... is my impression correct (or not) that dna transfer can occur via virus and bacteria?

Gene a simple beekeeper in Central Texas

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2