From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Feb 2013 17:14:37 -0500
The rate of evolution was recently discussed here. Allen tried to get someone to put a figure on it, and I guess I went on to other things. But I just remembered this (I think my memory used to be better, I have forgotten how it was). Mike Allsopp's thesis:

> In both wild and managed honeybee populations varroa appears to have been reduced to the status of an incidental pest. The development of mite tolerance took 3-5 years in the Cape honeybee (Apis mellifera capensis) and 6-7 years in the Savanna honeybee (Apis mellifera scutellata). The rapid development of mite tolerance in the Cape bee is thought to be due to the well developed removal of varroa-infested brood and the short post-capping period of worker brood. Together these resulted in a very rapid increase in infertile mites in the colony, the collapse of the mite population, and varroa tolerance. Tolerance does not develop as rapidly in Savanna honeybees as the post-capping period in these bees is similar to that of European bees and does not result in as many infertile mites.

> Nonetheless, varroa tolerance in Savanna bees develops more rapidly than would be the case in European bees because of more effective hygienic removal of varroa-infested brood. In both Cape and Savanna bees, the absence of varroacide applications and a “live-and-let-die” approach to the wild and commercial honeybee populations was crucial to the developed of population-wide varroa tolerance, in contrast to the selective breeding and pesticide treadmill practised in most parts of the world in an effort to get rid of the varroa mite. Varroa destructor is concluded not to be a serious threat to honeybees and beekeeping in Africa, and efforts should be made to prevent the use of pesticides and techniques that could hinder the development of natural mite tolerance in Africa.

Allsopp, Mike Herbert  Analysis of Varroa destructor infestation of southern African honeybee populations.
Master's Dissertation © University of Pretoria