From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 May 2009 09:45:20 +0100
Erik

No - I am thinking benzaldehyde.  I have used it to clear supers years ago,
but found that it tainted honey - you can taste it, and then I read that it
was carcinogenic.

MSDS here showing 'There is limited evidence that this chemical may act as a
carcinogen in laboratory animals.'
http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/BE/benzaldehyde.html

and is certainly hazardous to handle:
http://www.ilo.org/public/english/protection/safework/cis/products/icsc/dtasht/_icsc01/icsc0102.htm

As far as I can see, it is no longer available from beekeeping equipment
suppliers in the EU.

Perhaps someone has more info?

Peter