From:
Debbie Hutchings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:22:42 -0400
Hi Everyone!
I have been thinking (which is sometimes dangerous) about how I could
control this mite.  I have this idea about putting one frame of drone
foundation in each hive, then, before the drones are just about to hatch, I
would take the frame from the hive and distroy the drones and then return
the frame back to the hive to start all over again.  I was reading that
about 75 % to 80 % of the mites reproduce in drone brood cells, therefore
if I do this I could possibly control or eliminate 75 % to 80 % of the
varroa in the hives. Also if this could work I would have to find a way to
make sure I killed all the mites hiding in the comb before returning it
back to the hives.  I know that a frame of drone brood would be taking up
room in my hives, but if this could help control this mite it could be
worth the sacrificed worker brood.  How long can varroa survive without a
host?  Maybe I could have two drone frames and rotate them each time, that
way I could kill the mites by starvation?  I would still continue with
conventional treatments..Fall & Spring.
Anyone like to comment on this idea?  Lets brain storm.

Have a happy day!
Debbie from Canada.