From:
John Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 13:33:13 EST
Walt in SC wrote:
Does anyone have any information on getting stung after taking AMIODARONE
(cordarone), COUMADIN, or ATTENOL??

   Coumadin in what my father in law is on for blood clots. It's a blood
thinner that inhibits clotting. For him, a mild bruise doesn't stop bleeding
and can turn into an ugly angry-looking, puffy blotch.
   He was on coumadin last summer when he stumbled into a yellow jacket's
nest and was stung 7 times. By the next morning, the sting areas looked quite
seriously affected and very bizarre. They were a dark red, almost like a plum
color. From having seen it first-hand, I would say the reaction to the stings
resulted in severe tissue trauma. It was unlike anything I've ever seen in
the way of a reaction to an insect sting, and I associated it with the fact
that he was on coumadin. They took him to the hospital the next morning. I'll
ask what happened there and report back if anything was said or is remembered
that is worthy of mention here.

John