From:
Steve Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2012 14:09:58 +0100

> The problem is the behavior and that can be identified easy enough. For example, it doesn't matter if the bees are African if they aren't vicious. And it doesn't matter if they are not African if they are vicious. It is the behavior that is a problem, so taking out vicious colonies is the best plan, never mind the DNA testing and all that. If you don't and they sting somebody, you are negligent and could be held liable.

From  a British perspective I would see things differently.  If I had
what I believed to be a scutellata colony I would cull the queen
regardless of its docility.  I would expect its drones to produce F1
hybrids and subsequently F2s with my European bees and they are the ones
that I would expect to become vicious.  Likewise the African virgins
would mate with my European drones and produce similar unwanted results.

Steve Rose (North Wales)