From:
Dick Marron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:02:08 -0500

>>>>In 2009, University of Tennessee
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University_of_Tennessee>  Department of Plant
Sciences researchers found the combination of the herbicides mesotrione and
atrazine can make sweet corn <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_corn>  more
nutritious. They found the herbicides directly up-regulate the carotenoid
biosynthetic pathway in corn kernels, which is associated with the
nutritional quality of sweet corn. Enhanced accumulation of lutein and
zeaxanthin is important because dietary carotenoids function in suppressing
aging eye diseases such as macular degeneration, now affecting 1.75 million
older Americans. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrazine#cite_note-32> [33]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atrazine#Effect_on_amphibians

I came across the above and thought it an excellent example of the danger of
taking things out of context. After reading the quote, follow the link and
see what the rest of the article says.

It did get me to thinking. Other than fertilizer, the plants food, and
chemicals that protect them from parasites. do any of you know of
preparations that add to the quality of the crop in this way? In looking for
the negatives, could we have missed some positives?

Dick Marron