From:
"W. G. Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 09:46:19 -0500
On filtering honey as it comes from the extracter:

I find it is better to let the honey sit in a covered container for about a
week before filtering the honey.  That way, almost all of the crud comes to
the top and can be easily skimmed off with a nylon tropical fish net (keep a
special net for the purpose).

For actual filtering, I find nylon bridal veil material quite satisfactory.
 The finer the mesh, the better.  Put a piece of the cloth in an embroidery
hoop.  Heat the honey to about 130 F (no hotter) before filtering.  The
heating will help disolve crystals, and will make the honey fluid enough to
go through the filter.

After filtering, let the honey sit for a week before bottling.  Again, a
layer of foam will come to the top and can be skimmed off.

W. G. Miller
Gaithersburg, MD