From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 17:06:42 -0500
Hello All,
Discussion of small cell has produced many many posts (which are in the
archives).
The complexity of varroa makes discussion very hard to say the least. I do
not know of a single researcher which sees small cell as the answer we are
looking for.

From: "Barry Donovan"   " two  papers a couple of years ago, from South
Africa & New Zealand ,>  showed that varroa reproduced just as well in 4.7
mm > cells as larger cells"

Barry Seargant of South Africa said in his 600+ hives of scuts varroa is
alive and well in the 4.7 - 4.9mm cell size. Maybe Barry will comment if not
out in the bush chasing "scuts"?

Robin asks:
That deals with one question - do mites breed just as well when space in the
cell is restricted?

Which Halotype are you refering too? Researchers believe now as many as 26
halotypes exist. Size is all over the scale.

A excellent drawing ( figure 15.1   "the process of removal, or hygienic,
behavior")of what we are talking about is on page 214 of the book "Mites of
the Honey Bee" by Delaplane & Webster.

1. a nurse bee detects a parasitised pupa
2.Uncaps the cell and *removes the pupa*

The mother varroa mite may escape from the cell , but her offspring most
likely would be destroyed in the process.

Research done in Germany by Boecking and Drescher found a positive
correlation between the removal of mite -infested brood and the removal of
freeze-killed brood.

In other words lines of bees which are hygienic pull the most brood!

I am always skeptical on BEE-L of claims which go against known research
especially without proof being offered but will keep an open mind.

I looked up information on temperature as a control for varroa. I quote from
"The Varroa Handbook"

"Sealed frames of brood without bees have been exposed to higher than normal
temperatures in an effort to kill varroa in cells"

"All nymphal stages of varroa and 80% of all mother mites died in brood
exposed to 40C (104F.) for twelve hours  or 4-5 hours at 44-45C.(113F).
Overall losses of bee brood did not exceed the 5% limit with the testing.

I believe  one of the reasons the desert bees (Lusby's) tolerate varroa is
that she keeps her bees in up to five deep boxes (Bee Culture articles) and
even a strong hive can not fan & evaporate enough water ( water is the
normal method used by bees as fanning without water can not control the
brood temp when outside desert temperatures are  around 110F. and even
higher at times).to maintain the normal brood temperature which results in
death of many varroa and provides varroa tolerance.

It is my hypothesis that high desert  temperatures and lack of water for
evaporation provide a form of natural varroa control at a time of year when
varroa population would normally be on the rise.

When brood nest temperatures rise varroa dies in sealed cells!

I have spoke to the Tucson Bee Lab about my hypothesis but never heard back
(sound familiar Dee!).

 The hypothesis would be hard to test in Missouri but easy to test in Tucson
in mid summer.

BEES WILL MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO KEEP BROOD NEST TEMPS AT NORMAL LEVELS! My
hypothesis is that when the bees fail to keep brood nest temps under control
varroa dies as per above quoted research research.

Bob