From:
Allen Dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 17:09:02 -0600
> ...do these modern aids in lifting remove you from the 'splash zone'?

Well, the drum is a very sturdy one with small, standard sized bungs only, and
the platform very steady.  No glass to cut anyone.  And we had an open head drum
of water and buckets within ten feet.

> as for walking across the rough ground of an orchard carrying a Nassenheider
> evaporator

My feelings about any treatment that involves transporting quantities of liquid
acid away from a controlled and planned work zone, or which extends the period
of time or increases the number of environmental factors encountered while the
liquid acid is being sored and transported.

> which if I remember correctly contains about 500cc of 65%
> dilution formic acid.

Depends on the treatment.  Quoting the BEE-L logs after a 30 msecond search on
Nassenheider at the site in my signature below:

"I have a Nassenheider Evaporator in my hand-- and the instructions -- as I
write this.  The Nassenheider Evaparator requires either 100 cm2 or 150 cm2
(ml) of 60% formic.  Two such units must be used if there is brood in 2
chambers such there is in Alberta in the fall. This totals 200-300 ml of
60% formic".

> That is for the 65% dilution Allen, were you taking these precautions when
> you were handling the concentrated stuff?

I confess, no.  Not these exact precautions, but we did take reasonable
precautions and were very very careful and thought everything through in
advance.  We were outdoors with a good breeze, and fumes were not apparent,
except that we did catch occasional light whiffs of the acid.

FWIW, I have put my fingers in the acid momentarily, followed by a thorough
washing with plain water and am satisfied that such contact does not cause harm.
I would be very concerned about head or body contact, however.

> ...I was totally in support of the formic acid pads known
> as Illertissener Milbenplatte or IMP pads... produced commercially in 'safe'
> conditions...

Good idea.

> But before continuing down your formic acid path Allen may I inform you of
> what I consider is the greatest cause of ACCIDENTS - tiredness, so when you
> are trundling towards the umpteenth hive please bear this in mind.

Thanks, Ken.  We are aware, and ever alert.  But, there are no guarantees in
life...

allen
-----
See if your questions have been answered in over a decade of discussions.
BEE-L archives & more: http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee/Bee-l.htm
Search sci.agriculture.beekeeping at http://www.deja.com/
or visit http://www.internode.net/HoneyBee to access both on the same page.