From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 18:52:27 -0500
>George Fergusson wrote:
>Second. If small cell works, why does he need to use FGMO?

Hello George!

I don't think it was determined that he NEEDED to use FGMO’S.   I
understand that some like to use treatments with small cell because
they 'think it gives them some type of additional advantage'.  This in no
way suggests that the honeybees actually NEEDED the FGMO‘s treatments,
only that the beekeeper made this decision to do so.  Annual requeening,
over use of treatments, Illegal treatments are other examples of things
some beekeepers do even when they are not needed, believing that it gives
them an additional advantage.

IMO, If someone is regressed their bees and still found that they needed
to use treatments, I would be suspicious of an underlying cause for this
such as bad breeding,  bad management practices, OR just that the
beekeeper is being overly cautious trying to gain an 'additional
advantage' some think they need to do in order to succede.

Remember, not to treat small cell as many attempt to do with treatments.
It is not a replacement for good management practices, it is only one part
to be included in the over all system of good management.

Best Wishes,
Joe Waggle

EcologicalBeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'