From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Dec 2011 21:00:32 -0500
> The protozoan parasite Malpighamoeba mellificae  Prell  was detected in  less than 5% of  British  colonies  during  September

Right, that was thirty years ago. Now, we are finding higher levels of pathogens and it may take much less of each to tip the balance. But mainly, I thought it was interesting that M. mellificae was linked to bees flying off and not coming back. I think many things can cause this, including high levels of just about any pathogen, or combinations. Which straw breaks the camel's back is really a moot point. Colonies that can stay healthy regardless is what we want.

PLB

Given the plentiful and shared transmission routes for
many bee parasites, multi-parasite infections within individuals
and colonies are frequent, leading to direct or indirect interactions
with mutualistic, neutral, or antagonistic outcomes.

Bees brought to their knees: microbes affecting honey bee health
Jay D. Evans and Ryan S. Schwarz