From:
Mats Andersson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 May 2002 10:04:05 +0200
Hello everybody.

I have to ask you about a device i read about in Bonney's "Hive management".
I can't remember the name of it, but you might know what i mean. I haven't
seen it here in Sweden.

It's a double screen bottom that's placed between the boxes of a hive to
sort of emulate a swarm by dividing the colony and stop any swarming
tendencies. The theory being that the queen and the foragers stay below the
screen and young bees and brood are on top of it, with a separate entrance
in a different direction.

What i'd like to know is this:

1. Does it work in practice?

2. Is it sufficient to have the screen in for a week and then the swarming
tendencies will be gone for the season?

3. Isn't there a risk that the bees above the screen feel queenless and
start making queen cells?

4. Any other tips on how to use it successfully?

/Mats Andersson, Stockholm Sweden