From:
Aaron Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 May 2000 12:59:42 -0400
> ... I am curious as to what people's experiences have been with this
genetic stock so far....

Well, so far I haven't been able to get any.  Breeders are having a problem
getting queen cells  accepted and virgins mated.  It appears that the
Russian stock is "hesitant" to interact with non-Russian lineage or
vice-versa.  Cell builders are not accepting Russian larvae and Russian
virgins are reluctant to breed with non-Russians.  Furthermore, in the first
year of "general availability", open mated Russian daughter queens (if you
can get any) will probably have been mated with non-Russian drones, hence
their offspring will be mongrels.  There is an article about this in this
month's (perhaps last month's) ABJ.

But back to the original problem, I have so far not been able to get any
Russian stock.  Breeders are finding that they have to build up pure Russian
cell builders and that's putting them far behind in their orders.  The long
anticipated arrival is not yet here.

Aaron Morris - Thinking "The Russians are Coming, the Russians are Coming!",
but not soon enough.