Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 2009 18:39:19 -0400
> I wonder whether, in the ongoing quest to develop varroa tolerant beestock,
> we're intensifying other pathogens.

One observation from a very experienced beekeeper was that Varroa and bees
could get along as long as there were no virus/pathogens in the colonies and
even then it depended on the pathogen. All virus are not equal.

Which really causes a problem with any anecdotal reports on survival with
"varroa tolerant bees". The key is what pathogens are present along with the
Varroa.

Bob's Varroa pressure works in a commercial or large beekeeping operation
since there will be pathogens because of the intermixing of bees in
commercial pollination.  But it might not in an isolated small scale setting
away from pathogen pressure. So you could have the exact same trial and come
out with opposite results.

Which is what we seem to be seeing between commercial and hobby operations.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine