From:
Paul Hosticka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2018 12:22:13 -0400
>"High mite and associated virus levels are often the result of colonies weakened by pesticide exposure."

That statement defies logic and all I have experienced since varroa arrived. High mite counts and their associated viruses are in the overwhelming number of cases the cause of high colony loss. To infer that a beekeeper could tolerate high mite infestation if it were not for those damn pesticides only encourages poor beekeeping and misleads a gullible public looking for an easy scapegoat. Beekeeping is not as easy as it once was, and it was never easy, but some are successful while others have problems. The successful ones control what they can, mites, disease, and nutrition and take their lumps when environmental, unusual mass die-offs and other challenges, including pesticides conspire against them.

I fully agree with Jerry's assessment. We live in similar climates and what he describes matches my experience. Still in the 10 to 15% loss range in a high ag high neonic area. And the losses come from the usual suspects. Starvation, queen events and mites. Rarely acute pesticide exposure and never, to my knowledge, neonics.

Paul Hosticka
Dayton WA