From:
Robert Brenchley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 09:29:28 EST

[log in to unmask] writes:

<<As beekeepers we all know what to do about varroa.
So when  the virus hits, then what?
What do you do about the virus and keeping it  from spreading or is it too
late

Walter
Ontario>>

An individual bee with the virus has had it; all  you can do is control the
vector, which we know to be varroa in most cases, and  hope the colony lasts
long enough to raise a new generation of healthy bees. I  had three colonies
with DWV last October, after a sudden influx od mites from  collapsing hives in
the area. After a hasty treatment (I had been intending to  use oxalic over the
New Year), I appear to have saved two. The third, which had  the most serious
outbreak - a good dozen bees with crumpled wings seen in a  rapid inspection,
as opposed to two or three in the others - died out in  December. I can only
assume it was more susceptible, and if so, good riddance.

Regards,

Robert Brenchley
Birmingham  UK