From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2006 21:49:57 -0500
Randy Oliver <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
…So once they have the capping off, why do they leave that
>purple-eyed, healthy appearing pupa just resting there?  Has anyone marked
>any exposed pupae to see if the bees ever seal them back up?

Hi Randy,

That would be a good experiment!
With chewing out brood I see in my bees, they uncap and leave the cell
open in the purple eyed stage.   But what is odd, is that I generally see
either All uncapped cells on the  frame unharmed, OR chewed out.  I don’t
see some pupa chewed and some not.  This makes me think that chewing
process is cued separately, maybe by acclimation of mite feces or
something.  That chewing out seems to occure all at once, there may be
somting occurring around the 16 or 17 day of the honeybee pupa
metamorphous to trigger chewing.

Joe Waggle
Ecologicalbeekeeping.com
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'