From:
allen dick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Oct 2009 18:41:34 -0600
> the ABF made a resolution to push for a way to feed a pollen sub in syrup.

Actually, IMO, anyone who expects to deliver any significant amount of
protein in a liquid to bees is out of touch with reality unless the
laws of physics and chemistry as I know then have been repealed.

When  we stop and think about it, what are patties but a suspension of
proteinaceous material in sugar syrup?  Actually some patties can be
poured.  Ooops!

Any syrup deliverymethod, and there were some on the market before
MegaBee, is going to necessarily deliver much less protein per litre,
unless somehow the non-protein components can be eliminated and
extracts used.   Even then, I don't know.  Also, extracts are very
expensive, relative to yeast and soy.

I recall asking Gordy about the state (liquid, solid) of amino acids
and their miscibility with water when I was standing in the Tucson lab
with him early on in the project because exactly those thoughts were
running thru my mind.    I was wondering how they could eliminate the
solids and achieve an solution.  (Apparently they have not).

The answers were much as I expected and I could not and cannot
understand how one could get a sufficient concentration without
suspending the material in a murky mess, and that is what has been
done.  Back to patties.

Liquid feeds require a whole lot of equipment to use efficiently and
then there is a lot of clean-up.  Who needs it?  Maybe queen
producers, but frankly, I think it was a dumb idea from the get-go.
I'd never use it.

But, then what do I know?  The researcher made money, the distributor
made money, the lab made money, and three out of four ain't bad.