From:
Alf Bashore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2008 12:19:19 -0400
Hi,

I've read to paint the space with kerosene or similar. But that idea I
don't like. The insulation you are installing of course prevents the
bees from returning to the same cavity.

But the best recourse is for the homeowner to seal all potential
openings. And to reshingle or apply new wood or vinyl siding to the
house. Expensive, yes, but actually will preserve the structural
integrity of the house. Until the homeowners do this, they will have an
annual swarm living with them.

Perhaps you may wish to place bait hives near the house. Make those bait
hives more attractive for the scout bees than the house. There seems to
be a nice prolific feral colony nearby.

I am dealing with a similar situation in a rural PA century old farm
house. The cedar siding is the original and needs replaced. There were
two colonies in that home, both removed this spring/summer. I covered
those spaces with plywood and advised the owner who has limited income
to patch all holes to prevent a swarm from entering next season. He
didn't. In a surprise action by a wild colony a late July swarm moved
into a wall again. Will retrieve next spring if it is still alive by
then. That house is so open that it could contain many colonies, if
there were swarms sufficient.

Did obtain a swarm from another century old brick farmhouse. Those
homeowners caulked all the brick opening shut after I retrieved that
wild colony. Had to access thru a bedroom floor. Used bee vac. Saved the
queen. There is a feral colony in an old log barn about a mile or less
away. I was told that that farmer wants those bees to stay. I guess they
regularly swarm. Wanted to place swarm traps this past late spring/early
summer. Illness prevented that. There is next year for swarm trapping.

Of the three colonies from the two farmhouses, two are doing well. One
went to another assisting beekeeper who insisted he had the queen. He
didn't. I had to go back to the wood farmhouse and get the colony
remnants plus the queen. That colony ended getting robbed out in my home
beeyard and is gone. Perhaps, I inadvertently injured the queen during
the retrieval and installation. I was ill this summer and wasn't able to
attend to the bees needs as I wished. Perhaps it would have survived
otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Alf