From:
Steve Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 15:22:46 -0400
Allen writes:  "Modern Beekeeping has led to rejection of long term
solutions in favour of short-term profits and distorted the entire practice."

     This does seem obvious, but then what would it all look like in the
absence of these interests and these practices?  It is difficult to say
where “Modern Beekeeping” begins and traditional beekeeping ends.  When did
the good old days end?  I suppose the answer to that lies in when people
started trying to make a living at beekeeping and its related activities.
     The whole thing seems very much analogous to the larger economic
problem that the world is facing right now.  Everyone has become dependent
on the system’s status quo for their livelihood.  We seem to have been on a
treadmill that just kept going faster and faster until we fell off.  The
current efforts at “fixing” this severe economic recession often look like
just getting back on the treadmill; getting back to business as usual where
credit is cheap and we can envision endless economic growth.
     I think we are all starting to see the conundrum that we are in.  I
have yet to see how we will all consciously choose to extricate ourselves
from it.  But I am starting to see how we might unconsciously be extricated
from it and it doesn't look pretty.

Steve Noble