From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Mar 2009 19:09:12 -0700
>inferring that the selection of  bees that prioritise health rather than
hoarding in their daily activities will affect honey production so badly
that the economic viability of the outfit will suffer.

Peter, I agree with you.  Dr. Marla Spivak's Minnesota Hygienic line is a
case in point.  Great hygiene, great honey production.  When crossed with
VSH you can have bees that make more honey than any others, plus are
resistant to brood diseases *and* varroa.

Allen, I hate to mention specific names of breeders, for fear of not giving
kudos to deserving others.  Eric Slayton is having trouble posting, and
suggested Dann Purvis.  I've met Dann, and he puts his breeders to the test
in "challenge yards."  This is an important concept, since there is evidence
that challenge of the mother colony by a parasite may trigger epigenetic
resistance in the offspring.

John Jacobs (Old Sol Apiaries) in the Northwest also breeds for survivors,
as do Mark and Melanie at Zia Queens in New Mexico.

Randy Oliver