From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Dec 2011 18:21:50 -0800
--- On Thu, 12/8/11, Chris Slade <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Reading that varroa mites are 4 times
> as likely to be found in cells in old comb as in new, I
> wonder whether part of the reason for Dee's success is
> moving her bees onto new comb and that would have been
> beneficial whatever the cell size.  Dee, do you renew
> your comb regularly?  Do you have any colonies on old
> comb?  Is there any difference in Varroa counts?

reply;
No I do not renew my comb regularly. ONly when we built outfit back up after second regression (first was to 5.0mm - 5.1mm sizing but bees lived sorta but not good production due to sedondaries still) to get secondary diseases under control, seeing that as having to be part of a wholebee picture concept for field work, and so going another .1mm down in size did we accomplish that. But any foundations we put in, drawn out still there, except where vandilism/knockovers happened and frames mashed. Rest all still there, and yes it takes time to rebuild up beewax combs.

Also I made the foundation myself us being first to go back down the path to smaller for sustainable hive health, opposite of path up followed for over past 100 years for bigger is better, which it is not except for work for selling treatments/artificial feeds, etc.........

But don't believe in getting rid of old comb as bees clean it out and thin it back down as Wedmore used to write about, along with others....and without dopes and artificial feeds in my hives I have no contamination problem to worry about (verified by USDA this year following last March annual bkprs mtg in Oracle, Arizona when 3 of my barrels of honey were bought and tested by main USDA testing lab for 171 pestiticdes and found clean ppb for all).

So why change comb? especially if no problems!!! just need rain for plants to bloom so bees make honey........that's way all old outfits built up in past......building more equip each year and then keeping it, and passing on father to son.....etc.

Dee