Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 22:32:28 GMT
Dee,

The following was not my quote.  I had quoted Mike's assistant only to ask if an insect repellent of any sort could lessen the attack of overly defensive bees.

>>Waldemar:
>>...and watch the cloud of angry bees crash against the
closed window in their attempt to skin you alive.

In my [by-stander] opinion, you discount too much the reported increase in overly defensive bees in the south-west.  You may not see it yourself since you say you select for gentleness.  It's good to be a realist but it's best not to trivialize the potential danger - one day your own life may be in danger.

My [limited] experience with overmedicated European bees has been that they are typically gutless, weak, and generally seem disoriented - NOT overly defensive.

>>Sure you don't need to go to a field beekeeping school on
how to be around honeybees so you don't get them so mad?

I am not sure if this is an insult or an innocent question... :)  I'll take it as a question.  Since this experience was not my own, I'll keep on believing that my beekeeping skills are moderately adequate though... since my bees don't seem to get very mad... ;-)

Waldemar