From:
Mark Jensen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:16:42 -0700
On Mon, 9 Sep 2002 15:21:36 -0400, "Frank I. Reiter" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>How can one efficiently filter large volumes (several hundred lbs at a time)
>of beeswax to make it suitable for fine quality candles?

Frank, I use a large restaurant aluninum stock pot and added a 1/2 in. ball valve 5 in. above the bottom. This pot holds
5 gal of distilled water to a line just below the valve. I then add about 90 lb of unprocessed beeswax and heat the
whole thing on a gas hot plate til the water boils, taking care that the wax does not overflow and burn the house down.
I let it gently boil for 1/2 hour or more to clean the wax. Then the heat is turned off and the pot is left to sit to
allow the dirt to settle below the valve. The longer it sets the more dirt settles out, but not so long as to not be
able to flow out the ball valve. Then I open the ball valve and slowly run the liquid wax through a paper cone filter
sold by restaurant supply houses for filtering cooking oil. The resulting wax is crystal clear and makes premium
candles. Good luck.

Mark Jensen