From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Mar 2009 09:21:40 -0700

> >He told me that I was the only person that didn't look at him like he was
> from Mars when he told me that the varroa levels  in that hive actually go
> DOWN later in the year...say from mid  spring to mid summer.

Well, John, Dr Amanda Ellis' data certainly support this!  So you have
*scientific* confirmation  :)

> >Now the means by which I count mites is through percent drone
> infestation-don't know his.

John, this method is highly unreliable--it can vary hugely for the same
infestation level.  Indeed, I was suprised by the lack of correlation in
mites in drone brood vs mite level by alcohol wash last week in the almonds.

> >Randy you noted that hives enclosed in greenhouses only survived 2 cycles
> of brood on supplemental feeding only.  Do you know the "symptoms" that were
> shown in the hives before they died?

Sorry, I can't remember the specific description.  Dr DeGrandi Hoffman would
be the one to ask.

Randy Oliver