From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 May 2016 14:31:22 -0700

> >For us the winter bees  must start in late sept to oct,  when pollen is
> still coming in strong and nectar is still flowing.  I have to admit  I
> have not measured it,  but it seems apparent winter bees start developing
> long before brood stops.

Matilla and Harris did mark bees.  It is very easy to do.  Could you please
do so this fall and let us know the results?

>Could also be the fact that pollen may be coming in but not nectar so that
could be another signalling device that there is a problem with food.

Could very well be, Bill. Could be that a combination is necessary.

> So back to the question. Are these behavioral timings and signals
universal to all bees or are there significant innate genetic variations ?

Very likely.  All, or nearly all, Calif breeders produce bees that build up
for almonds, so would be very interesting to compare strains.  I've
observed that Russians are far more responsive to incoming pollen than are
Italian type.

Pete, your latest post is certainly food for thought.  I'm out of country
on a consulting gig at the moment, and pushed for time, but will get back.
Thanks!
--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA